12 May 2010

My Client




Consuelo Vanderbilt Balsan

For my final project, I have chosen to create 2 wedding gowns inspired by the life of Consuelo Vanderbilt. Consuelo married twice--first, to the Duke of Marlborough and second, to Lt. Col. Jacques Balsan. Her marriage to the Duke was one of convenience. Her mother wanted her daughter to be part of the British aristocracy and the Duke needed massive sums of money to maintain Blenheim Palace. Neither the Duke nor Consuelo loved each other. The wedding was like non other that New York had seen before in its size, expense, and publicity.

Her second marriage was one of love. Consuelo had met Jacques at her first bal blanc in Paris during the spring of 1894. Allegedly, Jacques went home that night and told his mother he was going to marry Consuelo. It was not until 1921 that they married.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine
    I can't believe no-one else has commented on this. What an incredible project. I started at the end page and had to to back and back to the beginning. What I saw on the way is amazing work.

    Now, did you get your Masters at the end of this? Please let me know - I may not be able to sleep if I don't know.

    Why did you decide to make the two dresses? I gather the first is a repro of the actual dress Consuelo wore for her wedding with the Duke (I saw their family portrait on a visit to Blenheim many years ago - she was lovely). I find the idea of wealthy Americans essentially selling their daughters into the English aristocracy akin to white slavery, very distateful, but I guess the poor girls didn't have much choice and I think once they had produced the 'heir and a spare' they were pretty much free to follow their own lives. Hopefully some of them found love before they were too old.

    Do you know what she wore for her second marriage? In those days she would not have been married as a bride in all the white virginal finery. It would be interesting to know.

    Sorry for rambling on, I find this whole subject fascinating. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete